How will be the weather today? Is it going to rain? Will it be safe for me to go for that hike? How can you tell the weather? Well, if you are looking to predict the climate accurately, you have two options: One, you can sit and watch the TV for the weather forecast, which is more general on regions; or two, you can buy one of the best barometers or home weather stations and measure air pressure to determine what the day is going to be like.
You see, the best barometers are designed to measure atmospheric pressure, which is the main indicator of the weather. If your barometer shows that the pressure is falling, it’s likely to be windy, wet and dull. On the other hand, if the pressure is rising, it’s likely to be dry and perfect for those afternoon hikes.
If you are looking to purchase this instrument, read on and discover several great options and a few tips to help you choose the best barometers.
Top 12 Barometers Of 2020 Reviewed
1. ThermoPro TP67 Rechargeable Weather Station
This is the best rechargeable weather station. It is capable of monitoring humidity and temperature in the indoors as well as the outdoors. The completely sealed weather station can be used both in rainy and snowy conditions up to a depth of 200 feet. You may use it to measure temperatures from as low as negative 35°C. Once charged, it will remain with power for at least one year. It is capable of providing weather forecasts 12 to 24 hours in advance. You only need to look at the five icons representing snow, rainy, cloudy, partially cloudy, and sunny weather to know what to expect.
One feature that makes this barometer to stand out is the large, crisp LCD display with a backlight for reading the information in dark conditions. Inside the house, you can place it virtually anywhere including the table-top. It is also a convenient wall-mount machine that comes with a 3-year warranty.
- A fully charged battery lasts for more than 1 year
- Can be used in all weather conditions
- Comes with a large LCD display
- Some said it wasn’t logical
- The screen doesn’t stay lit for long
- May lose the connection with the transmitters
2. Lily’s Home Analog Weather Station
When it comes to elegance, none beats the Lily’s Home Analog Weather station. The barometer is housed in a beautiful, elegant solid wood cabinet made from rich mahogany, and incorporates a precision quartz clock, thermometer, and hygrometer. The whole unit is compact enough to fit narrow places like bedside tables and shelves.
Designed with an easy-to-read face, the barometer gives you readings of temperature and barometric pressure, allowing you to forecast the weather.
- Comes with a precision quartz clock
- Elegant, classic wood finish
- Triples as a thermometer, hygrometer, and barometer
- Compact in size
- A bit difficult to use
- Clock ticks a bit too loudly
- Complicated design
3. La Crosse Technology C85845 Color Wireless Forecast Station
If you are looking for a modern, easy-to-read barometer, then this one is your best bet, and for a good reason. For starters, it incorporates a wireless transmission that works great in both outdoors and indoors. The unit also comes with a full-color display and visible icons.
When it comes to the setup, it’s a breeze to use this barometer. It features simple set up buttons and an automatic daylight saving time resets. And yes, just like most units of its caliber, this particular barometer also provides readings for humidity and temperature.
- Offer readings for barometric pressure, humidity, and hygrometer
- Adjustable backlight
- Big display with large icons
- Wireless feature tends to lose connection
- All the different options/features can be difficult to navigate
- Requires lots of batteries
4. Ambient Weather WS-YG313-Y Cherry Finish Brass Bezel Traditional Weather Station
Just as the name suggests, this is a traditional barometer with the ability to provide barometric pressure readings. It comes with a rich, solid wood with a nice lacquer finish to give it the vintage feel. The best thing about the device is that it provides a number of readings, ranging from humidity in percentage to barometric pressure in both inHg and mbar, and temperatures in Fahrenheit.
The weather station is also designed to be mounted both vertically and horizontally. All you need is to adjust the dials, which are large enough and easy to read. The barometer, however, only operates up to around 3,000 feet.
- Can be mounted both horizontally and vertically
- Can work as a barometer, thermometer, and hygrometer
- Comes with a nice solid wood base and a striking cherry lacquer finish
- Only operates to around 3,000 feet high
- Hygrometer doesn’t provide very accurate readings
- Some have said the wood quality is poor
5. Thomas 6530 Traceable Digital Barometer
The Thomas 6530 barometer is designed for ease-of-use and accurate readings. It comes with a large 4 line display, with each one providing continuous and immediate measurements of time, humidity, and barometric pressure. It also has a recall button should you lose your stored data and want to regain it.
To provide alerts, this weather station provides both high and low alarm sounds. With the help of a computer output unity, you can even connect it to your laptop to allow for continuous capture of readings.
- Clear and accurate readings
- Affordable price
- Provides temperature and humidity readings too
- The plastic casing isn’t the best quality
- Slightly big for carrying around
- Doesn’t include batteries
6. Ambient Weather WS-2801A Advanced Wireless Color Forecast Station
This is one feature-packed barometer, yet retails for an affordable price. The Ambient Weather WS-2801A is a modern weather station designed to respond to barometric pressure changes to give you an accurate forecast for 24 – 48 hours. It comes with a wireless sensor that can transmit a cool 300 feet, not to mention a clear display.
Just like most barometers in the market, the functions of the WS-2801A goes beyond recording barometric pressure. It also records humidity and temperature in both outdoor and indoor locations. Better yet, it comes with optional calibration for better accuracy.
- Wireless sensor to report temperature to the console
- Records humidity readings, in addition to barometric pressure
- Forecast icon for 24 – 48 hours
- The sensor doesn’t cover a big area
- Backlight not bright enough to enable day viewing
- Console takes up too much space
7. Ambient Weather B1025C Antique Storm Glass Wall Mount Liquid Barometer with Drip Cup
This is one unique traditional barometer you will love. It features a glass container that comes with a sealed body and half-filled with water, allowing the unit to provide accurate readings of the weather. The unit also comes with a narrow spout that connects to the rest of the body. When open to the atmosphere, the spout either rises above or below the water level, depending on the air pressure at that particular time.
While this traditional barometer would be a great addition to your home, office, or library, remember that the device doesn’t provide readings for humidity and temperature.
- Unique, classic unit
- Easy to use
- Compact enough to place in small spaces
- Affordable price
- Doesn’t provide readings for humidity and temperature
- The spout may snap if you hold tight
- Difficult to read from a distance
8. BTMETER Digital Anemometer Barometer Handheld
When it comes to quickly getting a feel of the prevailing weather conditions, you need the best handheld barometer. In this case, we are talking about the BTMETER Digital Anemometer Barometer, which is capable of measuring the wind speed, temperature, and chill as well as the barometric pressure, dew point, altitude, and humidity. It can measure wind speed between 0.67mph and 67.1mph and temperature from a low of negative 10°C. The readings are displayed on an LCD backlit screen in terms of the current, average, minimum, and maximum wind speed.
The device comes with a tripod hole for erecting on a platform in the outdoors. Some of the activities which it is suited for include drone driving, kite flying, sailing, hunting, and long-range shooting. It is capable of logging 16 different groups of barometric pressure as well as give an analysis of the relationship between height, humidity, and temperature. To preserve the battery, it automatically shuts down after 10 minutes without any signs of operation.
- Can measure much more than barometric pressure
- The tripod hole makes it easy to erect
- Provides detailed weather analysis
- The display is a little bit dim
- Not rechargeable
- May not work in harsh weather conditions
9. Ambient Weather WS-228TBH 9-Inch Brushed Aluminum Contemporary Barometer
The Ambient Weather WS-228TBH comes with a contemporary design that captures reference needles from days gone by. The bezel is a 9-inch brushed aluminum affair. It comes with a radiant blue, bold, and handsome dial. This barometer is considered the best-brushed aluminum barometer, thanks to the inclusion of a reference needle, which tracks changes.
It is suitable for use in the living room, board room or office. Wherever you choose to use it, this barometer can be hung using the hook at the back. The main purpose of this unit is to display barometric pressure at whichever point you might want to use it for easy calibration of this barometer, you need to use the set screw. Once you calibrate it at sea level, you can use it to measure barometric pressure up to a maximum of 3000 feet. Anything above that the device will not work.
- Comes with a unique modern design
- The hook at the back makes it easy to hang
- Has a 9-inch brushed aluminum bezel
- Doesn’t work more than 3,000 feet above sea level
- Not meant for use in the outdoors
- Doesn’t measure anything else other than barometric pressure
10. Ambient Weather WS-GL032 Porthole Collection Weather Center
This indoor weather station features a rich, solid wood frame and is suitable for use in a school, restaurant, library or study. It is capable of measuring the humidity, barometric pressure, as well as the temperature. In other words, the Ambient Weather WS-GL032 Porthole is a beautiful hand-crafted weather station that holds three instruments for measuring various aspects of the weather. It is designed to be wall-mounted and features scratch-resistant holes.
It is suitable for sea-level calibration for a maximum of up to 3,000 feet. Anything above that and it will not be able to work. The barometer features a hinged bezel with an acrylic glass lens as well as a screw-down fastener. It has a brass case and an opening port made from a high-quality alloy. Made from zirconium PVD, the porthole bezel is fully rust-proof. The manufacturers of this unit are offering a limited 5-year warranty to everyone who buys it.
- Can measure temperature, barometric pressure, and humidity
- Made with a wooden frame
- The soles are scratch-resistant
- Some users found it hard to calibrate
- Doesn’t work more than 3,000 feet above sea level
- Reports of the instruments not being accurate
11. AcuRite 00795A2 Galileo Thermometer
This barometer is a real beauty. It features a large glass tube that’s filled with a clear liquid with five small glass bulbs floating inside. When temperatures rise, the liquid becomes less dense, causing the liquid-filled bulbs to sink. On the other hand, if the temperatures drop, the bulbs float.
That part is for the temperature. The unit also comes with a separate storm glass to measure barometric pressure. It’s fun to use, but a bit complicated, especially if you are not familiar with such weather stations.
- Features a thermometer and a barometer
- Colorful liquid-filled spheres
- Uniquely designed
- A bit complicated to use
- Fragile glass, so the unit needs a lot of care
- Too busy for a weather instrument
12. Weems and Plath Endurance II 105 Open Dial Barometer
If you want a quality weather station and your budget allows it, perhaps the Weems and Plath Endurance Open Dial Barometer is the perfect option for you. The unit is not only light and strong; it’s also durable and doesn’t need any maintenance whatsoever.
The barometer features a brass finish that can’t tarnish or scratch. You can use it outdoors without worrying about damage by weather agents.
- Quality brass finish
- Includes mounting methods for both shore and boats
- Lifetime warranty on movement and finish
- Quite pricey
- Doesn’t provide humidity or temperature readings
- Difficult to mount
How To Choose Best Barometers: The Ultimate Buying Guide
When it comes to shopping for a barometer, it can be quite tricky, especially if it’s your first time to purchase this unit. You must know what type to go for, the finish, and other extras that these units come with. Think of it like buying a watch – there are cheaper options that will do the job, but won’t last for long. You can also get top of the range options and expect to own a precision instrument that will probably last a lifetime.
If you are out shopping for this weather station, don’t worry because we are here to help you. We are going to look at some considerations you should keep in mind to help you get the perfect barometer for your needs.
There are two main types of barometers: mercury and aneroid barometer. The Mercury version comes with a glass column that’s marked off in inches. Its top is closed, with the other end resting in a small cup of mercury. The aneroid barometer doesn’t have any fluid. Instead, it features a small metal box known as an aneroid capsule. Comparing the tow, the aneroid barometers are more complex, whereas the mercury counterparts are simple and presumed to be more accurate. You may not see the fluid or the box, but your unit will always have information about them.
You want to predict the weather accurately, right? Well, a good barometer is all about accuracy. You will want to get precise data that you can use to forecast if the day will be dry, wet, or windy. While many manufacturers may hype their products to be accurate, some fail terribly. For accuracy, go for well-known brands and products. Some big brands even go out of their way to provide a money-back option should you be dissatisfied with your product.
Are you into vintage stuff or love modern items? You see, barometers can either be analog/traditional or modern, meaning that they operate with all those fancy features such as wireless signals and LCD display. They all work great, but you have to choose the type depending on your interests.
Barometers also come with different finishes and designs. Most companies have perfected their art, making the units blend well with your home décor. There are classic options with an elegant finish and modern units with the design of a wall close. There are also more unique barometers that can be placed on a desk or used both outdoors and indoors
Budget is a crucial factor when it comes to purchasing a barometer. Some units cost as little $20 and do the job well, but a good number of them will only last a few days. There are more expensive options, some costing up to $100. The great thing about such options is that most usually triple as a hygrometer, barometer, and thermometer. As much as you want a unit that fits within your budget, it’s best to go for an option that doesn’t compromise on quality.
Whether you are a hiker, an angler, a gardener or just a hobbyist who wants to predict the weather, you can purchase a barometer and get accurate weather data to help you learn how your day will turn out. As you have seen from our guide, there are many options out there, with a good number of them even tripling as a barometer, hygrometer, and thermometer. As long as you understand your budget limits, the type you wish to get for your weather station, and of course a few tips to help you along the way, there’s no doubt you will find a barometer that will suit your needs. It’s time you became weather pro!
The post Best Barometers To Accurately Monitor Atmospheric Pressure appeared first on A Web Not to Miss.